5. Dry Ice

Dry ice is not a proper ingredient per se, but it is used in cocktails to instantly freeze or cool drinks, or simply for theatrics. This frozen carbon dioxide passes from solid to gas by skipping the liquid state.

However, more important than its chemistry are the precautions you need to take when using it. For starters, dry ice releases toxic gases and causes internal organ damage when ingested – so don’t use it directly inside your drinks. It can also cause frostbite if mishandled with bare hands so use gloves to protect your most important tools – your hands.

Also, Cocktailsafe suggests exercising a great deal of care when storing this substance. Always keep it in a ventilated place to avoid the accumulation of carbon dioxide and never store it in sealed containers, as the gas produced might lead to an explosion.