From September 2 to 8, Hong Kong will be home to a whole host of rum fun. By Holly Graham.
Presented by Hong Kong Rum Fest, Hong Kong Rum Week will see rum personalities, rum lovers and rum events come together to educate the city on all things rum.
All events are open to the public and free to attend (except the closing party) and events for the week include parties, pop ups and masterclasses, as listed below.
Rum Week opening party
The Rum Week opening party will also coincide with the launch of Hong Kong’s first rum. New Grove Honi Honi Rum is distilled in collaboration with New Grove Mauritian Rum, who created three signature blends exclusively for Honi Honi. All three batches are distilled from a 2015 vintage, aged further for one and a half months for batch one, four months for batch two and six months for batch three in French oak barrels.
Where: Honi Honi
When: September 2, 6pm onwards
Grab a rum passport to collect stamps when you buy limited edition rum cocktails in selected bars such as Employees Only, Potato Head, Stockton, The Sea by The Old Man and Whisky & Words. Those who collect all stamps will win a prize at the end of the week when you hand your passport in at Honi Honi on September 8 at 7pm.
When: September 2 to 8
Masterclasses at Honi Honi
From September 3 to 7, masterclasses will be held around the city with free rum samples covering topics such as the global rum revolution and the latest in rum distillation. Featured speakers include:
- Aluna Coconut by Simon Disler (Drinks 99), 1.30-2.30pm
- Diplomático Rum by Alfonso Castillo (Diplomático), 2.30-3.30pm
- Agricole Rhum by Fabrice Guitteaud with J.M Rhum and Rhum Clément, 1.30-2.30pm
- Flor de Caña by Peter Lin (Flor de Caña brand ambassador APAC), 2.30-3.30pm
• Appleton Estate by Zoltan Konczol (Metabev), 1.30-2.30pm
• Don’Q Rum by Alexx Mouzouris (Don’Q Rum global brand ambassador), 2.30-3.30pm
- Agricole Rhum by Fabrice Guitteaud with J.M Rhum and Rhum Clément, 2.30-3.30pm
From September 3 to 7, rum personalities and rum bars will be popping up around the city. All shifts begin at 7pm and confirmed guests and bars include:
- Jungle Bird (Kuala Lumpur) at The Pawn
- Buccaneers Rum & Cocktails (Manila) at Honi Honi
- Jungle Bird (Kuala Lumpur) at Honi Honi
- Alexx Mouzouris (Don’Q global brand ambassador) at Potato Head
- Buccaneers Rum & Cocktails (Manila) at Stockton
- Alexx Mouzouris (Don’Q global brand ambassador) at Honi Honi
- Neon Pigeon (Singapore) at Honi Honi
Rum Week closing Party
Max Traverse and Owen Gibler (Employees Only Hong Kong) will host a drunken pig roast at Honi Honi whilst Neon Pigeon (Singapore) guest bartend. HKD$200 HKD entrance gets you fed and watered with free-flow rum punch and treats such as pastrami pork belly, typhoon shelter okra and sausage and cheddar pie.
Where: Honi Honi
When: September 8, 3-9pm
For more details, see the Hong Kong Rum Fest Facebook page.